This website was created by the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta, a non-profit organization whose mission is to help people understand the law as it affects their everyday lives. Please note we are unable to provide legal advice and assistance. If you require legal advice on any issue, please consult a lawyer.
Articles & Publications
Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta Publications
NEW RESOURCE: COVID-19: Tips for Condominiums
For potential condo buyers and owners
- A Guide to Commonly Used Condo Terms
- Before You Buy: Understanding Condo Finances
- Buying a Condo: Pre-Possession Issues
- Buying a New Condo: Document Checklist
- Buying a Resale Condo: Document Checklist
- Owning a New condo: The Developer Turnover Process
- Renting Out Your Condo in Alberta
For condo board members
- Checklist for first time board members
- Condo Board Conduct
- What you need to know about condominium bylaws
- Condominium Bylaws and Rules: 5 things to know
- What a Condo Board can do if bylaws are not followed
- What to consider if you are self-managing a condominium
- Tips for hiring and working with a condo manager
- The Big 3: Condominium contributions, special levies and reserve funds
- Condo Documents 101: What these documents reveal about the condo corporation
- Reserve Fund Guide
- Handling disputes with owners and tenants tip sheet
- Election to a condominium board
- Condominium Boards and Requests for Information
- Condominium boards and rental units
Ask Maria: Articles written by condominium management expert, Maria Bartolotti, originally published in Condo Living magazine
Robert Noce: Q&A column written by lawyer Robert Noce for the Edmonton Journal & Calgary Herald
Alberta Real Estate Association’s Condo Glossary: A comprehensive, searchable collection of definitions for condominium buyers and sellers.
Green Condo Guide: Produced by the Toronto Atmospheric Fund and Pembina Institute, funded by the Alberta Real Estate Foundation
Legal Advice – Finding a Lawyer
If you are looking for a lawyer to help you with buying or selling a condo or dealing with a conflict while you’re living in a condo, contact the Lawyer Referral Service through the Law Society of Alberta. The Service will provide you with the names of three lawyers who practice real estate / condominium law. Call 1-800-661-1095 for more information.
Dispute Resolution – Find a Mediator or Arbitrator
If you are looking for a mediator or arbitrator to help you resolve a dispute, search the ADR Institute of Alberta’s online directory. Call 1-800-232-7214 for more information.
Find a licensed real estate agent or property manager
To find a licensed REALTOR®, search here.
Find a registry agent
Government Legislation & Resources
Government of Alberta
- Condominium Rules Consultation
- Buying and Owning a Condominium (pdf) – booklet produced by Service Alberta
- New Home Warranty Program
- Service Alberta Consumer Contact Centre – 1-877-427-4088 or in Edmonton 780-427-4088
- Alberta Human Rights Commission – FAQs: Condominium corporations
- 2017 Condominium Developer Infosheet
Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation (Federal)
- Condominium Buyer’s Guide (pdf) (html) – use resource with caution as it does not contain Alberta-specific information
- Alberta Fact Sheet on Buying a Condo
- Research Highlights: Post-Tensioned Buildings
Real Estate & Advocacy Organizations
Real Estate Council of Alberta is the provincial licensing organization for real estate professionals. It is an excellent source of information for anyone interested in buying or selling a condominium unit with the help of a real estate professional.
Alberta Real Estate Association (AREA) is the provincial, professional organization that represents the interests of more than 10,000 REALTORS® across the province of Alberta.
Canadian Condominium Institute is a national association that lobbies governments to improve condominium legislation, assists its members through education and workshops, and serves as a research centre on condominium issues.
Condo Owners Forum Society of Alberta (COFSAB) is a not-for-profit association in Alberta that provides condo owners and occupants with opportunities for networking, education and advocacy.
Last updated: September 2021